Re: ITR: febootstrap

2009/6/1 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com>:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:26:32AM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> [...]
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> - It is usually a good idea to maintain the debian packaging also in a VCS.
>>   Even though this package is simple, since you are also the upstream, I was
>>   wondering if you you would be interested in maintaining the Debian packaging
>>   also in upstream git (possibly on a debian branch).  In case you implement
>>   this suggestion, please add Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser to debian/control.
>
> I'm of course maintaining this package in my own VCS.  Is the suggestion
> to add the debian/ subdirectory to my upstream git:
>
> http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=febootstrap.git;a=summary
>
> I thought it was bad for upstream to have their own debian/
> subdirectory?

Yeap bad. But there is a tool called git-buildpackage which is used to
aid packages to maintain their work.

Branch the revision you are trying to package into a branch called
"debian" and commit your packaging activitry onto that branch. And
pull into "debian" branch new upstream releases =D just google about
git-buildpackage a few how-to's should show up. Basicly it can grab /
create correct tarballs and perform build (debuild / pbuilder)
automagically without messing up your branch.

>> - Since you are using debhelper >= 7, have you considered using "dh" (your
>>   debian/rules will be very simple).
>
> Hmmm, manpage for 'dh' looked a bit complicated ...

well when you have the default rules file (which looks like that(?))
%:
    dh $@

just run "dh binary --no-act" and it will show which dh_* commands it
what sequence it will run for that target. After this you fix up /
tune any dh_* rule you want with the override_dh_* target. When you
enter override rules the dh target --no-act will substitute your
override targets.

Usually this results in much smaller rules files and very readable as
well cause the override targets explicitly emphasise what is unique
about your package.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),