Re: Confused by <foo>.dirs, <foo>.install etc

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
> I have a problem building a library, starting with a dh_make template.
> The basic problem seems to boil down to files don't get moved from
> DESTDIR (debian/tmp) into the actual packages, so the final *.deb
> packages are empty.
>
> It seems like the <foo>.dirs and <foo>.install files in debian/ are
> something to do with this process.  However I cannot find where in
> Debian policy these are documented ...

My suggestion: If CDBS supports your package's build system, use it.
http://build-common.alioth.debian.org/cdbs-doc.html . It calls all the
dh_* commands for you and makes everything so much simpler (I've only
debianised one package: a library built with autotools). If you want
to see my debian/rules, it's at
http://code.google.com/p/libfake437/source/browse/debian/trunk/libfake437-0.4/debian/rules
.

-- Jack