Re: Should clean revert everything to pristine source?

Hi Thibaut,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:32, Thibaut Paumard
<paumard@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On many of my packages, the "configure" phase modifies some files (e.g.
> Makefile).
>
> The lines which are overwritten are totally irrelevant: they reflect the
> particular set-up on which the upstream developer has packaged the original
> source.
>
> Upstream's clean target don't revert those changes. If I don't do anything
> specific, those files appear in the diff.gz file which can be considered
> clutter. If I want to do avoid this, I need to clutter the rules file
> instead or to use a patch system.
>
> Which attitude is best? Is there a clear policy or consensus ?

use debian/rules 'clean' target (the one that also invoke the 'clean'
makefile upstream target) to remove/revert the files not handled by
upstream makefile.

The goal is to have, after debian/rules clean, the exact same
situation you have once dpkg-source -x <pkg>.dsc , so upstream tarball
extracted + diff.gz applied.

Note that removed files in debian/rules clean target will not be
represented in diff.gz so they are taken back from the upstream
tarball (so de facto reverting to the upstream file "easily").

Cheers,