Re: debian/copyright verbosity

On tisdagen den 14 april 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> writes:
> >  Would it be acceptable to condense this to:
> >
> >  Files: foo.c
> >         bar.c
> >  Copyright: 2006, 2008 Mr. X
> >  License: GPL2+
> >
> >  Files: baz.c
> >  Copyright: 2005 Mr. Y
> >  License: GPL2+
> >
> > or even further to:
> >
> >  Files: *.c
> >  Copyright: 2006, 2008 Mr. X
> >  Copyright: 2005 Mr. Y
> >  License: GPL2+
>
> Neither of these are true statements of the copyright; you have
> *altered* the copyright claim so that it now makes a false claim (e.g.,
> you now state that ‘bar.c’ is “Copyright 2006 Mr. X”, which is
> contrary to what the original source claims).
>
> I don't think it's acceptable to make false copyright claims in the
> ‘debian/copyright’ file.

I think it's acceptable	and the only practical solution. It's far better
to "over-attribute" than to "under-attribute". If someone wants to reuse only
some parts of the code, and perhaps ask the authors for permission to use the
source in a proprietary product, they can read the copyright statements of
the individual files. But there is no guarantee that those are complete, and
*we* certainly can't guarantee that.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@debian.org
Debian Developer