Re: RFS: elgg

>>> Ah, please work with upstream to make it a bit more flexible.
>>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this seems to be a matter of having
>> additional features in the upstream package instead one of packaging
>> it for Debian.  Looking at other PHP packages (Moodle, Serendipity,
>> Mahara, and Wordpress), it seems standard to allow a single
>> installation to serve a single website.  Have I misunderstood this
>> point?
>
> Yes, best to add the flexibility upstream. It is standard but inflexible
> and indicates that the code, configuration and user data must live on
> the same place on the filesystem instead of the code being shared
> between multiple sites, which each have different configuration and
> data. I got bitten by this with wordpress, which wanted to install
> user-uploaded themes to /usr/share/wordpress, which is obviously wrong
> since that is where the code belongs and isn't modifiable by users. I
> had to hack around this with some crufty symlinks. Like the prepared SQL
> statements stuff, it is indicative of code that might not be of the best
> quality. Ideally all PHP projects would allow X amount of sites, each
> available on a different domain at a different URL, depending on the
> webserver configuration.

I have to respectfully disagree that this is a sign of code quality.
I can agree that allowing multiple sites is good practice, but it is a
feature of the software, not an indication of code quality.  Many--if
not most--of the PHP applications packaged for Debian are configured
this way, and I doubt these packages would be in Debian if their
quality were seriously lacking.

What is the plan if upstream doesn't see the need to include this
feature?  Making Debian-only modifications that would allow multiple
sites is of course possible, but at that point I'd be introducing
features (and possibly bugs) not found upstream.  I would, to some
degree, be forking upstream...

Thoughts?
Brett