Re: Documenting new upstream version in ‘debian/changelog’

Ryan Niebur <ryanryan52@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:31:35AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

>> I wholeheartedly agree with this, and would go further: even if there
>> are no Debian BTS reports to close, you should *still* give the
>> highlights of a new upstream version in the ‘debian/changelog’.
>>
>> I'm utterly uninformed by a bare “New upstream release.”; of course
>> it's a new upstream release, I can already see that from the version
>> number. This is a changelog, tell me *what changed* in this new
>> upstream version.

> I don't see the need for this. For most packages upstream's changelog
> is installed in /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE/, which will (hopefully)
> explain all you need to know.

The upstream changelog isn't displayed by apt-listchanges, so is much,
much less useful.  It's also often pretty bad, either including way more
details than the average user cares about or including almost nothing.

I'm with Ben; I try to summarize major changes for all of my packages
that are likely to affect users in the Debian changelog.  I don't always
manage, but I try.