Re: Lintian override or replicate files

Ludovico Cavedon <ludovico.cavedon@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> There are some files like:
> -man page
> -.desktop file
> -menu file
> -menu icon
> which are architecture-independent. However, if you put them inside the
> "-data" package, lintian will complain (e.g. binary-without-manpage,
> desktop-command-not-in-package, ...)

Though those files are architecture-independent, they are more tightly
bound to the proper packaging of the program than mere “data”, IMO.
Lintian is apparently designed with the same philosophy.

I think it's best if they go in the package along with the program.
Reserve the ‘foo-data’ package for data which is only for use *by* the
program, as opposed to data that other systems (manpage system,
desktop environment) need when the program is installed.

> What is currently considered best practice:
> -put them in the -data package and add lintian overrides
> -leave them in the binary file, as they are small?

The latter, IMO.

--
 \          “It's a good thing we have gravity or else when birds died |
  `\             they'd just stay right up there. Hunters would be all |