Re: distributing precompiled binaries

Le 26 mars 09 à 17:29, Chow Loong Jin a écrit :

[...]

The problem begins here: The Java portion has a build-dependency on Sun
Microsystem's WTK[1], and it is not free[2]. However, this is just a
build dependency, and not a runtime dependency. In fact, the .jar isn't even supposed to run on the target machine, it's supposed to be uploaded
to the mobile device.

Hence, my question: Is it okay (within DFSG) for upstream to distribute
the said .jar file, together with the sources for this .jar file, and
for this said .jar file to be copied straight into a .deb and
distributed as-is?

Hi,

you could provide the .jar in non-free, and the DFSG free part which actually runs on the host could Suggest this non-free package. You need to provide a mean to upload it to the cellphone from the Debian box.

Then of course you could try and see whether the .jar can be build by a DFSG free compiler. I know close to nothing about this, so I couldn't tell how likely it is.

Distributing non-DFSG-free software in main, even if it is not supposed to run on the Debian host and can be considered data... will probably be rejected.

Regards, Thibaut.