Re: Which package cacher to use?

Hi, Simon.

On Mar 12 2009, Simon Waters wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote:
>> * what is the package chacher that you are using?
>
> Squid
(...)

> The article lists two issues with Squid (or other general purpose proxies).
>
> One is that it doesn't recognise identical files from different
> repositories - which is fair enough criticism, although most users don't
> use APT's built in redundancy by listing multiple repositories with the
> same content, so most users won't be penalised by this that often.

In my case I use three repositories of the same thing (e.g., three of
Debian's sid), because some of the repositories don't seem to be as
frequently updated, but, OTOH, they have a faster connection here.

> Last I looked Terabyte drives were very cheap,

Unfortunately, I think that such consumer goods are not that cheap by my
standards. I surely would love to run a raid 6 array from 12 1TB HDs,
but I surely don't have the money. I am running this box on a 40GB HD
right now, which means that having a squid proxy here is not suitable.

Also, I would like to use the caching proxy on the Kurobox that Charles
Plessy sent me, which has a Freescale CPU of 200MHz and 64MB of RAM.

On this amd64 box, I am running approx now (and have submitted some
bugreports already), but I still have to see if it would be a good thing
for the Kurobox.

Thanks for your comments, though. And hardware donations are more than
welcome.

Regards, Rogério Brito.