Re: build a package which is not yet in Debian

<  Hi,
<
<  On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 06:42:23PM +0100, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
<  > How do I get the *.dsc file of a package which is not in Debian but in
<  > tar.gz format?
<  > Just follow the maintainers guide on my Debian lenny system and rebuild
<  > it, using the *.dsc file with pbuilder?
<
<  Yes. If the 'package' is in .tar.gz format it is probably the upstream source,
<  in which case you must follow the maintainers guide and package it from
<  the beginning.

I got this answer on different mailing list before:

 a. unpack upstream tarball
 b. create and populate debian/*
 c. run 'dpkg-buildpackage -S'

This would create you an diff.gz and an dsc file that you can give
pbuilder. NB: b. is almost always non-trivial, I can only recommend
studying the "New Maintainers Guide" for that.

hth

mira