Re: [RFS] python-lockfile 0.7-2

Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 08:59:17AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Don't I need to depend on ‘python-all’?

> Because you are only copying, it should make no difference. You only
> need python-all if you have to call setup.py with different python
> versions.

Okay. Perhaps, then, I should remove that dependency altogether, since
‘python’ will be satisfied by a dependency on either of
‘python-central’ or ‘python-support’?

> > I must agree with others in this forum that it's easier to track
> > the differences between different releases if they actually have
> > different release numbers.

By which I meant it's easier for others, who have access only to each
release of the package, to keep them distinct if they have distinct
release numbers. Finding myself in that position with respect to other
people's packages, I do unto others as I would have them do unto me.

> I generally treat mentors.debian.net in the way I treat a temporary
> branch in eg. git. I develop a particular feature in this branch and
> then squash-merge it into master, and only a summary of all changes
> made in the other branch, relative to master.

Whereas I see ‘mentors.debian.net’ as a publishing point outside my
control; once I put something there, I shouldn't depend on being able
to control what happens to it after that. I should prepare what goes
there as carefully as if I were uploading to the ‘NEW’ queue,
including making any release unambiguously distinct from those
preceding it.

> But I can not see that 'Expat' is listed as a valid value for
> 'License' anywhere.

Hmm. It certainly used to be. Well, that's a significant change in the
specification; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

> > What's the reasoning for that? Any indentation is sufficient for
> > conforming with the [proposed copyright file format] specification

> OK, but most people actually use 1 space, and you don't use 4 spaces
> in debian/control either.

I do, for everything except the ‘Description’ field, where the number
of indentation columns is significant.

Thanks again for your feedback, it's quite helpful.

--
 \      “When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand |
  `\           box. I was an only child... eventually.” —Steven Wright |