Re: Building process needs certain architecture's machine

Kov Chai <tchaikov@gmail.com> writes:

> So I can put the converted file at /usr/share/sunpinyin/converted-file
> in postinst?

Possibly. During installation /usr must be read-write. Only during
execution time do you have to assume /usr is read-only.

>> PS: don't forget about people that switch from say mips (big endian)
>> to amd64 (little endian) and want to keep their data file. There
>> should be a converter they can use for that too.
>>

> Good point! If we use the convert-while-install way, this converter is
> also a must.
>
> Thanks a lot.

I would record the endianness in the data file and write a any-to-any
converter that reads any endianness and defaults to output in host
order (but can do the other too).

That is unless you can do on-the-fly conversion.

MfG
        Goswin