Re: Licensecheck returns UNKOWN, but it's GPL

Luca Niccoli <lultimouomo@gmail.com> writes:

> Souce files of the program I'm packaging contain the following header:
>
> /* fswebcam - Small and simple webcam for *nix               */
> /*===========================================================*/
> /* Copyright (C)2005-2006 Philip Heron <phil@firestorm.cx>   */
> /*                                                           */
> /* This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU    */
> /* General Public License, version 2. You may use, modify,   */
> /* and redistribute it under the terms of this license. A    */
> /* copy should be included with this source.                 */
>
> which isn't recognised as a GPL license statement by licensecheck.

The ‘licensecheck’ tool is a guide only. It uses simple pattern
matching to detect some well-known license grant texts, but can't hope
to catch them all. The above is not one recognised by its existing
patterns.

> Simply ignore it

The above is a valid license grant IMO, so you shouldn't ignore it.

> file a bug against licensecheck

The ‘licensecheck’ tool shouldn't attempt to cover every possible
wording of a license grant; that would require natural language
parsing at the least. Unless it misses wordings that are *very*
common, I would say there isn't yet a bug in the tool.

> file a bug against upstream?

You could politely request upstream to use a more common wording of
the license grant. On the other hand, IMO there's nothing wrong with
the wording as it is, so upstream could just as politely decline your
request :-)

> What should I do?

Use ‘licensecheck’ as an initial step, but never a last step. Always
examine every file in any upstream work you want to package to see
what the license grants actually are.

--
 \        “The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must |
  `\      not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.” |