Re: debian/symbols Fortran library

* Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> [2009-01-28 10:12]:

> re:
>
>      http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2009/01/msg00241.html
>
> Alright, I got around to fixing all of Lintian warnings and the other
> issues that Rafael Laboissiere found. However, I still don't
> understand how to generate debian/symbols in order to satisfy the
> Lintian message.
>
> It also seems that debian/symbols is a relatively recent addition to
> packaging practices. How am I supposed to generate how should I use
> it? I've been reading the dpkg-gensymbols manpage and chapter 8 in
> Policy, but I still don't understand how to generate the symbol list
> in the first place? objdump? But that lists more symbols than I need,
> right?

Here is the cookbook:

$ cd libqrupdate-1.0
$ rm -f debian/*.symbols dpkg-gensymbols*
$ dpkg-gensymbols -plibqrupdate1 -Pdebian/libqrupdate1 | patch -p0
$ mv dpkg-gensymbols* debian/libqrupdate1.symbols
$ perl -pi -e 's/-1//' debian/libqrupdate1.symbols

Play with the commands above and look at the dpkg-gensymbols man page. There
may be easier ways to generate the symbols files, but the above is the way I
know of.

You need also to add a call to dh_makeshlibs in debian/rules.

Another thing: since the upstream name of the package is "qrupdate", I think
you should change "Source: libqrupdate" to "Source: qrupdate" in
debian/control and change the orig.tar.gz tarball name accordingly.

--
Rafael