Re: debian OID / dicom3tools packaging

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 01:05:25PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I am in the process of packaging dicom3tools:
>
> * http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging.html
>
>   One important step of the packaging is the DICOM UID. In order to
> write a DICOM file, one need a unique UID for each instance of a DICOM
> object.  For more details:
>
> http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part2.html#UID
>
> As documented at:
>
> http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part8.html#UIDRegistration

I wonder whether it is possible/feasible to come up with a single OID
suiteable for all users. IMHO every user/institution would need an OID
-- since somehow each DICOM generated by that OID needs to result in a unique
UID.

In a medical context there is probably already an OID available that
could be used for this purpose. For all others it might be helpful to
provide some guidance for the users how such an OID can be constructed.

Maybe it is possible to generate 'dummy' OIDs in a Debian namespace to
ease the life of people who are not interested in generating 'official' DICOMS
but simply need to convert files from one format into another.

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke
http://apsy.gse.uni-magdeburg.de/hanke