Re: How to debug problems in postinst using debconf / dbconfig common

Andreas Tille wrote:

> I try to build a package from mlstdbnet for Debian Med. The
> packaging stuff is available here:
[..]
> If I build the package I get an error message but failed
> to track down the problem:
>
> ~> sudo dpkg -i mlstdbnet_2.0.0-1_all.deb
> (Reading database ... 341999 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace mlstdbnet 2.0.0-1 (using mlstdbnet_2.0.0-1_all.deb)
> Unpacking replacement mlstdbnet ...
> Setting up mlstdbnet (2.0.0-1) ...
> dpkg: error processing mlstdbnet (--install):
>   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
>   mlstdbnet

`set -ex' in your scripts (you can do the same in the debconf scripts).
I further found an echo to stdout in your postinst. debconf cannot
handle this very well [1] and it may lead to make the script fail. Echo
to stderr instead. The same goes for any other output to stdout created
by the commands in your postinst script.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/10/msg00790.html

Regards, Daniel
--
NUR NOCH BIS 31.01.! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 EURO/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a