Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:16, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> Quoting Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>:
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:59, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> * When fixing bugs that prevented a previous release (e.g. one made to
>>>  mentors.debian.net) from making it into Debian (e.g. because the
>>>  sponsor requires further changes), recommended practice is to
>>>  increment the release number and make a new changelog entry, to
>>>  easily distinguish from any existing release.
>>
>> This is only required by *SOME* sponsors, and I absolutely *DO NOT
>> WANT* this from my sponsorees; so please stop (target is everyone)
>> spread mis-information to people approaching Debian since few time,
>> like it's a "project requirement" when it is not.
>
> Sandro ;-)
>
> My context analyzer claims [1] that what Ben wrote was more like question
> (though the question mark and interrogative form were missing;-), rather
> than a ironed rule.

Well, the way he wrote (and he is usually very careful at writing) it
seems like a preamble for the real question.

> Should we leave that to the sponsoree's discretion, and live in peace? ;-)
> Does anybody see any flaws with that?

This is perfectly fine (for me and for you, and many others) but what
about the "newbie" (no negative aspect here) that reads this? He can
think that this is the right way to do, while it is not, or better is
*another* way of doing things, both being technically correct.

To express a suggestions, there are many ways, like "IMHO", "Many
sponsors prefers to", "it seems that <this> is wide used". For
example, many times I've encouraged to use the new copyright format
(while I don't use it since I consider it overkilling) because there
are some that prefers it (and maybe the sponsorees to).

NOTE: this was not a personal attack or way, just a head-up about that
sponsorees may not have yet the judgement about what is correct,
what's wrong, what has different ways to be accomplished, and hence
it's the sponsor (and -mentor) task to provide such knowledge (and
sponsorees to document about it :) ).

Cheers,