Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> >> usually you would remember because you'd debdiff and interdiff
> >> against the .deb and .diff.gz in the archive.
> >
> > How will those help me to get information about the package I'm
> > about to build *before* issuing the commands to build it?
>
> As a sponsor, usually I would do stuff like this:
>
> dget http://mentors.....foo...-3.dsc

My question was relating to building the source package in the first
place; i.e. to invoke ‘dpkg-genchanges’ with the appropriate ‘-v’
argument when building it. Hence, no ‘foo.dsc’ file exists yet at that
point.

It looks like ‘rmadison’ is the key to what I want to do. Here's a
first cut at getting the appropriate ‘-v’ option automatically:

===== $HOME/.devscripts =====
# Get the latest version of current package in Debian archives
latest_debian_version=$(dlatest)

# Options to pass to dpkg-buildpackage
genchanges_opts="-v${latest_debian_version}"

DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="${diff_ignore_opts} ${tar_ignore_opts} ${genchanges_opts}"
=====

===== $HOME/bin/dlatest =====
set -o errexit

packagename=$(parsechangelog | grep '^Source:' | cut -d' ' -f 2)
suitename=$(parsechangelog | grep '^Distribution:' | cut -d' ' -f 2)
latest_debian_version=$(rmadison --suite ${suitename} ${packagename} \
    | cut -d'|' -f 2 | sed -e 's/^[[:space:]]+//')

echo "${latest_debian_version}"
=====

--
 \      “If we have to give up either religion or education, we should |
  `\              give up education.” —William Jennings Bryan, 1923-01 |