Re: Patching Upstream Source

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 02:49:31AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Can changes need to be made to files provided by upstream, e.g. a
> Debian-specific patch or a patch not yet integrated upstream, be done in
> the .diff.gz and be compliant with Standards-Version 3.8.0?  Or, do they
> need to be done as part of the patch target in debian/rules, e.g. via
> dpatch?
I believe either are fine, as far as policy is concerned.  However
unless you have trivial patches you will find using dpatch makes life so
much easier.

I used to just use the old diff.gz way (hey, it was the only way then)
and switched to using dpatch. Now I only ever use dpatch. It is a lot
easier to handle the patches that way.  The dpatch files are still in
the diff.gz anyhow.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au