Re: RFS: krypt

> p.s. Please *PLEASE* PLEASE *PLEASE* CC people like me that post to
> debian-mentors.

Not unless requested.  That is standard debian-* list policy.  If you feel you
want a CC, just ask for one, I've never seen such a request intentionally
denied.

> p.s.2. PLEASE consider changing that policy of not CCing posters.

No.  There are a good number of ways to see replies to the list, even if you
don't want to subscribe.  It's a waste of bandwidth to CC unrequested, an
annoys me personally to no end.

> At least
> mention somewhere that one have to be subscribed to debian-mentors to get a
> reply.

the mailing lists.  We can't really enforce that.  All we can do it provide
TFM, we can't make people R it.

> I believe that most people looking for sponsors in debian-mentors
> aren't subscribed to the list (right?).

I subscribed prior to filing an RFS, to get guidance through the process of
building the package and asking question on how best to get my RFS looked at.
I remained subscribed for various reasons, not the least of which that I want
to see replies and I prefer mail over NNTP or HTTP access to the list.

> Once more, I found this reply
> because I searched google. For another package I found the reply 2 months
> after it was posted using google (again).

> Is there any reasoning for not
> CCing posters? Is there a way I can fill a bug report against this?

It wastes bandwidth and time.  If you are interested in replies you can
subscribe or follow the list through HTTP or NNTP (or other) interfaces to
the list.

You could file a bug, instructions are at http://lists.debian.org/ .  That
said, I doubt the list policy will be changed quickly.  I'm not entirely
clear on the process for changing that policy either.

> p.s.3 Shouldn't at least the BTS ITP bug number be CCed? (like Scott
> Kitterman did).

I don't see a big problem with that, but then the RFS should probably be CC'd
to the bug as well (for context).

> p.s.4 As you understand there was no way to reply to your e-mail except
> from copying-pasting it to a new e-mail, adding quotes by hand (or via
> kmail), spending unneeded time for this (wait for answer, no answer, look
> google, found message, copy-paste, quotes, etc) and practically ruining the
> threading of the list's archives. In fact, it looks like a forum-posting
> procedure (!). It is also a bit of  'go-away' practice for new people
> willing to
> help/package.

That's a horrible scenario.  Fortunately, it's not at all true.

If you don't like the way you currently get replies, feel free to join the
list or ask for a CC and you can receive them via email.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))