Re: advise needed for library packaging

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Martin Godisch <martin@godisch.de> wrote:

> I'm not doing library packaging all day and I'm a bit unsure about the
> new sleuthkit upstream release. It would be nice if some of you could
> have a look at sleuthkit 3.0.0 here [1] and 2.0.5 in unstable and tell
> me what I did wrong with the new release regarding upgrade path and
> soname change and such.

Firstly, make sure you've read libpkg-guide and it's bugs (especially
the RC one):

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
http://bugs.debian.org/libpkg-guide

Firstly, do you need that library? Nothing in sid seems to depend on
it, not even sleuthkit.

I would suggest adding a .symbols file for the new ABI so you can
detect ABI breakage in newer upstream versions.

-dev packages should not have SONAMEs in their package names, what is
the reason for the libtsk-dev -> libtsk3-3-dev change? If the API has
changed incompatibly, libtsk-3-dev might be more appropriate.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise