Re: RFS: furl

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:29:29AM -0500, Weboide wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "furl".

IANADD and can't upload for you, sorry. But some comments for your
review:

In your packaging you have a
compat level of 7 but don't use debhelper 7 to its potential; you should
take as much cruft out of debian/rules as possible to make it easy for
sponsors to review your package and dh7 helps enourmously with this.
The example comments and other stuff can come out too to make it easy to
read.

There are three lintian warnings for you to clean up:

W: furl: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/furl
 - you can fix this with a debian/manpages file
W: furl: copyright-lists-upstream-authors-with-dh_make-boilerplate
 - make it either "Upstream Author:" or "Upstream Authors:"
W: furl: copyright-has-url-from-dh_make-boilerplate
 - replace the example url with a real one

It's not clear why you remove config.sub and config.guess from
upstream's source during clean, and copy them during configure. If
there's a good reason, you should probably document it in
debian/README.Debian.

Your clean target does not remove all stamp files, so a subsequent build
does not get a reconfigure. If you were to run a build, then change your
configure target, and then build again, you won't see the changes second
time around. If you were to use debhelper 7 to its potential, you
wouldn't have to worry about such things.

More fundamentally:
What does furl do that other packages can't? We already have curl, lynx,
wget and even telnet can be used to dump headers. Can you justify having
this package in the archive?

If you can, and you iron out these few wrinkles in your otherwise good
package, I'm sure a sponsor will be along soon to upload for you.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

PGP/GPG: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
Sending of encrypted mail is encouraged