Re: RFS: libexplain

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 13:44:39 Peter Miller wrote:
> Dear Mentors,

Hello Peter,

> Package: libexplain
> Version: 0.4
> Upstream Author: (myself) Peter Miller
> License: GPLv3 or later
>
> "The libexplain project provides a library which may be used to explain
> Unix and Linux system call errors. This will make your application's
> error messages much more informative to your users.  The library is not
> quite a drop-in replacement for strerror, but it comes close. Each
> system call has a dedicated libexplain function."

Sharing code is always good idea! ;-) However, I don't quite understand why
should developers prefer the functions from libexplain instead of already
existing ones like perror(3), strerror(3) strerror_r(3) (which is
GNU-specific, ok),  and probably some more I don't quite recall right now.
Note that I'm not saying that your library is useless (I really had a brief
glance over it), I just can't get it what is so cool about it. If it is an
alternative to above mentioned functions, then why do we need sucn an
alternative?

RFS: also means that you have prepared some preliminary debian packages for
your piece of software, and you are requesting a review and sponsorship ;-)