Re: Considering package removal [glademm]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:59:33 +0100
Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@gmx.de> wrote:

>   As I have never requested removal of an package I'm asking here for
> some opinions to make sure my thoughts are reasonable. Any comments
> are welcome!
>
> Some Data:
>
>  * Popcon inst: 359
>  * Open Bugs: 6 <= normal
>  * Last upstream release: May 2005
>  * priority: optional
>  * Section: devel
>   I'm currently maintaining glademm, which is an sourcecode generator
> producing C++ sources from glade files. While doing so I'm currently
> going through the pieces upstream left unreleased. However I'm in
> serious doubt this is worth the trouble.

To remove a package, file a bug against ftp.debian.org using the
template of any other RM bugs in the same list. There are no RC bugs in
glademm - do you need to remove glademm from Lenny or can removal wait
until after the Lenny release? (You can still file the bug, but be
clear about whether it needs to be done in Lenny.)

>   First of all, glademm is unmaintained upstream for years. While this
> would not be an reason for removal on it's own I see it as an hint.

It is - as is your reluctance as maintainer.

>   One of the reasons to go backporting some more recent commits was
> some bug fixed there (see #335696). But while doing so I realised
> nearly all test in the testsuit currently fail. While I will
> certainly be able to at least fix the now present gettext problem it
> will cause considerable work.

With a dead upstream, it might simply be easier to remove the package.

--

Neil Williams