Re: Someone to 'proofread' a .deb please

news <news@ger.gmane.org> wrote on 12/11/2008 04:04:37 PM:

> Hi,
>
> In article <[🔎] 200812111821.06249.toots@rastageeks.org>,
>            Romain Beauxis<toots@rastageeks.org> wrote:
> > Please, make sure to seperate the debian packaging files from
yourreleased
> > software. There can be several debian package for a single
> upstream release,
> > so debian-related things should always be out of the software's code.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why the debian directory shouldn't be part of
my
> 'main' release? What problems does this cause?

It does cause real problems.  Debian packagers are encouraged to ship
pristine
tarballs of the upstream source.

But, packaging is somewhat difficult and has a lot of details that require
attention
to get right.  Moreover, packaging practice changes with time.

Essentially if you have a debian directory, what happens is that things
start to get
confusing very fast.  Your debian directory will certainly be different
from the one
of the package that gets installed in Debian.

Now when a user complains, is it because the user's package came from
Debian with
the "official" packaging, or did it come from somewhere with the
"upstream" packaging.

And, the Debian packager can't feed changes back to you, without
triggering a change
of revision number.  This is irritating to every other distribution.

Really, it is better just to not have a debian directory.