Re: RFS: tuxcmd

Hi

Dne Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:29:15 +0100
Salvatore Bonaccorso <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com> napsal(a):

> Yes I have to rephrase these sentences. The reason about that is the
> following: upstream ships the "base filemanager" tuxcmd in a source
> tarball, and in another tarball some modules (the above claimed, and I
> should rephrase the description for tuxcmd itself).
> For the modules I filled an separate ITP (see http://bugs.debian.org/508082).
> The second I have to repackage the upstream tarball to remove the "non
> free" module parts (unrar and libarchive plugin).

What's non-free on libarchive? It's already packaged in main. I guess
same applies to unrar (there is free unrar, but there is no free rar).

> Then tuxcmd-modules
> will "extend" tuxcmd by these additional modules. This second package
> tuxcmd-modules I have not yet ready to upload to mentors.debian.net,
> which then will extend the functionality of tuxcmd if installed. So
> that is what I ment or wanted to say in the README.Debian, but I
> should do better.
>
> "The tuxcmd package contains the base Tux Commander file manager. To
> extend the functionality using some VFS modules available you need to
> install the additional package tuxcmd-modules". Should explain the
> situation better. Since english is not my native language I should
> also post to the l10n-list, for checking the package description, for
> having best possible description.
>
> Is this a good approach to this? Or do you think it's still better to
> import also the "free" modules into the upstream source and repackage
> the tarball?

Just create new package with plugins (if some of them have excessive
external dependencies, package them in separate binary modules) and
make tuxcmd suggest/recommend tuxcmd-modules.