Re: RFS: hexec

On Monday 01 December 2008 16:04:33 Alexander Block wrote:

Hi,

Hm, interesting approach. Package looks good to me, except that it builds one
binary package, not three, which is fine. Adding a watch file would be good
idea too, regardless you are both upstream and debian maintainer of that
package, because in that case your users (Debian External Health Status -
DEHS included) would be able to catch your debian packaging lagging your
upstream releases, if any ;-)

> It builds these binary packages:
> hexec           - The hexec tool itself
> libhexec-common - Shared library for hexec internal use
> libhexec-hook   - Shared library that implements the exec hooking

These are leftovers, right ? I see no good reason to split two separate
runtime library packages if your `application' package (built from the same
source package) needs them both to operate as well. Or these are just long
forgotten bits from a library/dev split attempt ? If you intend to distibute
a) separate runtime `library' packages (the shared library) and b) separate
buildtime `development' packages (headers and static library) then it might
make any sense to leave your users some options to choose which of these they
would need and not bother with the rest, i.e. they might want to build depend
on libhook-dev, but not on libfoo-dev (produced from the same source
package). That gains you almost nothing, but anyway.