Re: Bug reports in Ubuntu

On Monday 24 November 2008 10:13:23 Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire
>
> <debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> wrote:
> > My adopted package gxemul has a bug in Ubuntu[1] (seg fault on command
> > line parameters) which reproduces in the current Debian package. It has
> > been fixed recently in upstream's CVS so I plan to add a patch for the
> > time being, pending an upstream release.
> >
> > 1) is this the right approach or can you suggest better?
>
> Sounds fine. Be sure to prepare an upload for testing-proposed-updates
> if you want to add the patch to lenny and the release team are likely
> to approve the patch, since your package is not in sync between lenny
> & sid.
Seen from the Ubuntu side you are very welcome to use the bug in Launchpad for
tracking the issue.

> > 2) should I open a similar Debian bug for this in the normal way, or
> > just respond to the Ubuntu bug, or some other course of action? If a
> > seperate bug, should I interact with Ubuntu's at all or leave them to
> > it?
>
> I personally wouldn't open a Debian bug about it.
If you at some point chooses to add a new debian bug with the same issue,
please use the "Also affects distribution" button in the ubuntu bug to link it
against the debian bug. This will help us a lot tracking the fix and when it
arrives in Ubuntu.

> If you want to, you can close the launchpad bug in your changelog like
> this:
>
>   * fixes segfault (LP: #12345)
>
> Once the package is synced to Ubuntu, the launchpad bug will be closed.
We really appreciate this as well!

> --
> bye,
> pabs
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Cheers,
Andreas

(Kubuntu user, and currently maintaining 3 packages in debian)
--
 ,-¤.  Kubuntu Linux
¤    ; http://www.kubuntu.org