Re: RFS: bzr-diffstat

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 23:26 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * martin f krafft [Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:07:28 +0100]:
>
> > also sprach David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com> [2008.10.30.1044 +0100]:
> > > This is mainly an ease of use/usability thing. Ubuntu is trying to
> > > move to using bzr (and only bzr) for managing packages. Part of
> > > our freeze exception process requires a diffstat of the patch, so
> > > the idea was to make creating diffstats from bzr branches as easy
> > > (and as integrated) as possible.
>
> > Doesn't bzr have aliases? Wouldn't it be better to recommend
> > patchutils and use its diffstat with a pipe?

bzr-diffstat appears in the bzr help, rather than needing people to read
up on how to configure it etc.

> I don't think bzr has support for shelling out in aliases, a-la-git.

We could add that easily enough, but its not very useful for windows
users; and many F/L/OSS projects do have developers on windows nowadays,
so their developer documentation and toolchain needs good answers for
windows.

> > Part of the packaging process is to make those decisions, even if
> > others disagree. I am by no means an authority, but I do think that
> > this could be solved in a more Unix-y fashion. I hope you'll find
> > some time to consider it and make the right decision.
>
> I think packaging involves some similar decicions, in particular one
> should try to avoid packaging crap. As for non Unix-y stuff, it should
> be up to packages who care, IMHO. :-)

In this particular case, I think the diffstat functionality will be
incorporated into bzr's core soon anyhow.

-Rob