Re: [RFS]: iw - tool for configuring Linux wireless devices

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 22:12:38 martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Kel Modderman <kel@otaku42.de> [2008.10.28.1302 +0100]:
> > I am seeking a sponsor for iw, a tool for configuring Linux wireless devices.
>
> How does it compare to iwconfig/wireless-tools? Why do we need
> another tool?
>
> Note: I am happy to have iwconfig go, but this should be explained.

Hi Martin,

Reasons why the linux wireless people have decided to move away from WEXT are
stated here:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/Wireless-Extensions

I can only predict, with my crystal ball, that iw will be the canonical tool
for configuring new Linux wireless drivers in the future, much like iwconfig
was for a long time (until wpa_supplicant came along I guess). During the time
that both tools exist, I think many challenges will be presented as to how iw
can be best integrated with our Debian system so that wireless continues to
work for users of the system.

Guus Sliepen, the maintainer of wireless-tools has already started dialogue
with me about what iw is and how it will integrate with our system. All I can
say at this time, is that I simply do not know! The purpose of this upload is
to get the iw binary into the experimental archive, without any other
"system glue", so that it can pass NEW and so on and thus become available to
Debian people for use and further development. It will take quite some
discussion and tinkering around to be done properly. I would like to
participate in these discussions, and therefore decided to start the ball
rolling with initial packaging and personal experimentation, but really do not
want to do this by myself, therefore, I would like to also ask you (as netconf
guru and Debian old-timer), if you would like to help, as part of pkg-wpa team
or maybe move iw another existing and active group?

Thanks, Kel.