Re: RFS: fig2sxd

OoO En  cette fin de  matinée radieuse du  samedi 25 octobre  2008, vers
11:07, Alexander Bürger <acfbuerger@googlemail.com> disait :

>> ... "Debian"  changelog, not  upstream ...

> Hmm. I do not have an upstream changelog, and all previous
> debian/changelog entries have the same problem. So what would you
> suggest to do:

> * Move all debian/changelog entries actually describing upstream changes
> to a new upstream-changelog and replace it with "new upstream version"
> for all upstream versions (0.1 -- 0.19) in debian/changelog?
> * Keep the existing debian/changelog entries and start the upstream
> changelog now?

> And, as adding a new upstream changelog would mean that the orig.tar.gz
> changes:

> * Fix it in the next version (0.20) once there are upstream code
> changes?
> * Fix it now, keep version 0.19 and hide the new upstream changelog
> until 0.20-1?
> * Add the new upstream changelog via debian's diff.gz? That seems odd.
> *  Make 0.20  and 0.20-1.  What would then  be the  upstream changelog
>   entry?

No, no, you don't have to maintain yourself upstream changelog (you = as
Debian  package maintainer).  I just  point the  fact that  you  put, in
debian/changelog,  an  entry  that  looks  like  an  upstream  changelog
entry.  From  a  Debian point  of  view,  the  change is  "New  upstream
release". This is not really important here since there is only on entry
but if you  add 3 features in  the next version, you don't  have to list
them in  debian/changelog. debian/changelog is  the place to  tell which
bug is closed and what changes have happened in the packaging.

>> ... currently in freeze... If there is an important problem ...

>> ..0.18-1 .. in testing,  it is easier to fix it if you  can push the fix to
>> unstable without pushing additional changes. Otherwise, it would have to
>> be  uploaded  to testing-proposed-updates  which  causes  more work  for
>> everybody and less possibilities of testing (no "grace" period to ensure
>> that a few people test the package).
>>
>> However,  the  change  is  not  very  large  (especially  if  we  ignore
>> indentation changes),  so in case a  fix needs to be  pushed, maybe this
>> new upstream version would be accepted  as well.  Therefore, it is up to
>> you  to upload to  unstable (if  you think  that having  a RC  bug filed
>> against fig2sxd is low probability and even if there is one, the current
>> change is likely to be accepted) or to experimental.

> Do you want to suggest making the same changes in diff.gz and call it
> 0.18-2? Probably I do not understand what you actually ask here.

No. I  say that uploading  in unstable a  version that will never  go in
testing because of the freeze would  put some difficulties on you if you
need to upload a fix (a small fix that would be 0.18-2 for example).

If  you think that  this fix  is important  enough to  go in  Lenny, you
should ask on debian-release@ the  permission to upload this new version
and let it migrate to testing.  Provide a debdiff (with -w in your case,
otherwise, there is too much changes).
--
I AM SO VERY TIRED
I AM SO VERY TIRED