Re: Need some tips on building Debian packages

Hi Paul

I have also found the migration from RPM packaging to Debian packaging
to be a hard one (I'm *not* a mentor, BTW). Some of my observations include:

   1. Whereas RPM provides one key tool, 'rpmbuild', Debian packaging
      seems to provide dozens of different tools, not all of which are
      used by all users, with the result that different packagers will
      tell you different packaging techniques that seem to have, at
      times, little or no common elements.
   2. Whereas an RPM can be generated at a minimum with one 'special'
      file (the .spec file) that can basically be typed by hand, Debian
      packages seem to provide half a dozen 'special' files: 'rules',
      'changelog', 'control', man pages, etc etc, many of which are best
      to be auto-generated by scripts, because of their complexity.
   3. For people who are packaging their own code, the 'rpmbuild -ta'
      command is really nice, and makes rapid standalone packaging /so/
      much simpler. This allows you to put your packaging files in with
      your source code, making 'developer's own' binary releases much
      simpler.
   4. RPM's support for multiple platforms/distros/arches is, to me,
      more intuitive. I can write a *single* .spec file that builds
      distinct RPMs for OpenSUSE, Fedora, RHEL and Mandriva, just using
      conditional pre-processor statements. That sort of thing seems, on
      first inspection, to be rather difficult to achieve with Debian.
      Again, this is of value to those developers who are also
      attempting to provide binary packages for their users, especially
      for simple packages that don't have too much distro-specific stuff
      to worry about.

If it's of any interest, I wrote a little Python script that appealed to
my RPM sensibilities, while hopefully producing fully compliant Debian
packages. Any feedback would be welcome; it's still under development.
http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/Dtar

Essentially, this script just provides the 'rpmbuild -ta' functionality,
but also allows you to package your 'meta files' in a separate tarball
('debian.tar.gz'). This is reasonably compatible, FWIW, with the way
that the OpenSUSE Build Service allows you to package Debian packages.
You still need to generate all those 'rules', 'changelog', etc, files.

One thing I will say about Debian, though, is that writing the above
'dtar' tool was very easy, because of the excellent Python packages that
are available for parsing the variable Debian packaging metafiles.

Cheers
JP