Re: Behavior about a WNPP package : battery-stats

Hello Laurent,

> I would like to make work on battery-stats that is in the WNPP database.
> I think that i haven't enough time to become the maintainer of this
> package but i can correct some bugs in package.
>
> Have I to modify the debian/control in order to register myself as
> maintainer ?

well, you should not; given that you don't have time to directly
maintain it, but you're willing to help on an orphaned package, then
you'll do what's called a "QA Upload": set the maintainer of the
package to QA Group (it's already set this way, it's a general rule)
and keep doing things as usual.

> How to sign the package without the debian/control file update ?

as usual, with debsign; package maintained by QA group are "special",
so what you'll do is share some of your time on a package no one has
time or interest in maintain it directly (and that's a QA job).

> How can I write the debian/changelog file without the debian/control
> file update ?

as usual, with dch; you'll notice that lintian will not complain about
NMU version or other stuff (give the peculiarity of QA packages).

There are some doc/site you can look at:

* debian policy (of course)
* developers reference (of course)
* new maintainers guide (recommended)
* http://qa.debian.org/ and linked web pages.

Feel free to post any question you have on the list.

Kindly,