Re: How much user notice.

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:23:40PM -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> I have a question about this bug (my reply to it isn't significant):

> Upgrading apache breaks virtual hosts.  The user is expected to read
> NEWS.Debian to notice that and fix it.  Would it be better to give
> notice during the upgrade?  Even with apt-listchanges I think I might
> have missed the significance of that.
>
> I'm curious what people here think.

disclaimer: I am a "people here" rather than a DD or any kind of mentor.

I'm unconvinced that simply having multiple notices is an improvement.

could you test for a "vulnerable" system at install time and warn on the
basis of that ?  Is that even a good idea ?

would it be possible to fix broken config ?  is that a good idea ?

I note that at important I wouldn't see the bug in listbugs, even if it
were open.

"At the end of the day, the user either cares enough to read stuff
carefully, or they are prepared to pick up the pieces".  discuss. :-)

Would any of this be any different if such a change were necessary in a
security release ?

Regards,
Paddy
--
Segmentation fault (core dumped): .sig too big