Re: Lintian warning messages

Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:

> On Tuesday 5 August 2008 14:02, Richard Hurt wrote:
> > W: <package>: script-non-executable -- Since this is a scripted
> > web application (RoR) there are quite a few "scripts" that are not
> > executable directly in the shell. Can I turn this warning off for
> > these files?
>
> Maybe you could find out why this warning is triggered. Probably,
> these scripts have shebang lines (#!/usr/bin/ruby perhaps?) but are
> not executable. That doesn't match, as the shebang line is useless
> if the script is not executable.

Moreover, ignoring this warning leads to accidents like failing to set
executable permission on programs that *do* need it. If a tool can
help find bugs (as in this case), it's better to fix the bugs than
ignore the warnings.

--
 \            “Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, |
  `\            nations and ages it is the rule.” —Friedrich Nietzsche |