Re: font policy - maintainerless program

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 16:58 -0700, Paul Hardy wrote:
> I have been getting ready to release a font plus sources and auxiliary
> programs for Debian.  The Policy Manual requires using the
> update-fonts-dir script when installing a font.
>
> I was going to post a change to the update-fonts-dir script
[...]
> Unfortunately, the BTS says that the package has no current
> maintainer, and asks that bugs not be filed against it.

http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=update-fonts-dir says update-fonts-dir is in the xfonts-utils package, and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=xfonts-utils certainly isn't complaining about a lack of maintainer.

Ah, I see the confusion - you're looking at the BTS page for
"update-fonts-dir". That will indeed tell you there's no maintainer
listed and not to file bugs against it, but it also includes "[t]here is
no record of the update-fonts-dir package".

The reason there's no record of the package (and therefore no maintainer
of record) is that it's not a package - it's a script in the xfont-utils
package.

Regards,

Adam