Re: How to detect an upgrade from an older version of a package

Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Additional (might be more to his interest, because he talked about his
> postinst) it says:
>
> "
> postinst configure most-recently-configured-version
> "
>
> If a package is upgraded the most-recently-configured-version is usually
> identical to old-version. It isn't if the configuration of the package
> already took place but the installation hasn't finished (half-installed
> state). That is as far as I understand it. Anyways using $2 as
> oldversion worked for me in every case so far.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

In fact, I was being stupid in my question, so I'm asking again.

I think it's best option for me to know from what version I'm upgrading
from at the configure stage, so I can prompt a nice debconf dialog and ask:

"Do you want libapache2-mod-log-sql-mysql to upgrade your apachelogs
database tables?"

I think it's best this way, right? Then, how do I know that I'm
upgrading from version < 1.101 and that the upgraded is needed ???

Thomas