Re: RFS: di-netboot-assistant (ITP #489812)

Hello,

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:18 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "di-netboot-assistant".
> > (I am CCing debian-boot in case someone has some interest in it)
>
> This looks like some nice work. I wonder if it would make sense for it
> to be maintained inside the d-i project?

As far as I am concerned, that would be fine.

> Some review:
>
> - Minor typos in the README, mostly involving number (ie, missing
>    "s" on plural words).

I've reviewed it... I will also submit the documentation to
debian-english as I've probably left some mistakes.

> - It shouldn't need syslinux to be installed on the tftp server.
>   - pxelinux.0 is already included in the netboot tarball
>   - menu.c32 is not, but vesamenu.c32 is (in testing), and can also do
>     menus and submenus

I wanted to be sure that it works Etch.
Also, I had a quick look at vesamenu, but all configuration snippets
seems to be loaded at once so there might be some bad interaction
between the different releases (?). I don't have enough time right now
for that, but it's a must have for Lenny+1.

> - The docs say that to use the top-level menu it should use
>             filename "debian-installer/etch/i386/pxelinux.0";
>   Why is that in etch/ ? Wouldn't it be clearer to put the file in
>   debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.0?

I've fixed the documentation to match the actual file location.

Currently, all the meta-menu stuffs are installed in /debian-installer/
(because I have /debian-installer/lenny/i386 but
not /debian-installer/i386. May be I should have arranged the
directories the other way around : /debian-installer/i386/lenny ? )

> - No checking is done of the validity of downloaded files. It should check
>   the images/MD5SUMS file. (Unfortunatly there's no signed trust path for it
>   to check.)

That would be nice.
The daily images don't have MD5SUMS either. I've added it to my todo
list.

> - Seems to use the french keymap by default?

;) fixed.

> - Suggest s/NetBoot Meta-menu/netboot overview menu/

done.

> - The di-sources.list seems redundant. I think that the regular sources.list
>   could be parsed to get the mirror urls, and those modified to get the
>   d-i image locations. The file would still be useful for the dailies,
>   or other distributions

I couldn't figure out how to parse and use the sources.list. Especially
for systems with multiple entries in sources.list (backport...) and
those with mirror that looks like ftp.my-isp.com/debian

I assume I could still grep and sed /etc/apt/sources.list :
 grep -E "^deb[[:blank:]]*(http|ftp)://[[:alnum:]]*\.[a-z]{2}\.debian\.org.*${DIST}"
But it would only work for general case.

I couldn't find a clean way to specify the mirror, since it could be
specific for each distribution and/or architecture. I'm just wondering
how live-helper and debootstrap have addressed this problem.

Any idea ?

> but it would be nice to not have to modify it to use a !french mirror.

done

dupload di-netboot-assistant_0.33_i386.changes

Franklin