Re: --as-needed

On 08/06/2008, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> I uploaded tesseract-ocr 2.03-1 with --as-needed, but have had this
> bug reported:

> i.e. the test case in the bug report segfaults if tesseract is
> compiled with gcc 4.2 with or with --as-needed. If compiled with gcc
> 4.3, the test case segfault if --as-needed is used, but not otherwise.

It might be interesting to use a debug build, and share the backtraces,
so that one can check whether that's the same bug, when the segfault
happens.

> If I make tesseract depend on gcc 4.3 (is this a good idea?)

No, you shouldn't force a specific version, unless you have very good
reasons to do so. Not to mention possible architecture disparities
(which is quite usual for the compilers, although the last gcc-defaults
uploads are going to make all archs in sync AFAICT).

> and take out --as-needed, what do I do about warnings like:
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/tesseract-ocr/usr/bin/tesseract
> shouldn't be linked with libz.so.1 (it uses none of its symbols).
> ?

TTBOMK, this particular one can be ignored. Others might mean additional
dependencies (and that's why the use of LDFLAGS was proposed in the
first place).

Mraw,
KiBi.