Re: the quality of Debian's diff.gz

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008, George Danchev wrote:
> why yet another player must be added to the patching game, isn't it
> complicated enough yet for overloaded parties:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/05/msg00623.html

Divergences almost always originate with bugs filed in the BTS. When
you fix bugs, you create a patchset via some method. That patchset can
then be communicated with the BTS via attachment, linking to VCS
reversion, or linking to a yet-to-be-written breakout of the
quilt/your favorite patch system. The latter two can track what is
actually uploaded to the archive; the first supports any system which
can't be linked.

In an ideal case, the workflow would work out something like the
following:

1) bug filed by someone
2) fix bug
3) make changelog entry
4) use debcommit to commit
   1) tags the appropriate bugs pending
   2) tags the appropriate bugs divergance if there is a patch outside
      of debian/ (or a change to a patchset); mails patch to bug and
      sets patch tag [or uses the vcs link to link to the right
      revision]

[some time later, you notice that the patch above is no longer
required]

5) bts tag NNNN -divergence

The whole point of tracking the divergences like this is so that you
don't have to work hard.

> If these tools are not ready yet, why unreadable diff.gz have been
> uploaded to the debian archive?

Huh? diff.gz are eminently readable. They're not *optimal* but
complaining about their lack of optimality without doing the work to
get the various other things that developers use to generate diff.gz
in an optimal state to review isn't particularly useful. We all know
what the problems are; be part of the solution.

> I'm sorry, but doing uncoordinated moves causes a massive
> disturbance in the trust. I'm utterly disappointed, and will stop at
> that point.

I can't parse this at all.

Don Armstrong

--
If you find it impossible to believe that the universe didn't have a
creator, why don't you find it impossible that your creator didn't