Re: the quality of Debian's diff.gz

George Danchev skrev:
I don't see any new practices being developed here, Debian's diff.gz exists from the Debian packaging system's day 1 and abusing it prophesies no good.

Debian's diff.gz that has existed from day 1 is *one* all-encompossing diff. You're requesting shipping *multiple* separable diffs in order to identify individual changes and improve readability and maintainability outside the package maintainer's own repository. That's quite different, and there are various, incompatible ways to do it already in use, and conflicting opinions on the best way. Like I said, this kind of discussion belongs on debian-devel.

It's not that I don't agree with your point. But if you want to create a debate, do it in the proper forum.

Feel free to join the efforts there.

That didn't produced anything meaningful.

That's not an excuse to give up. In this case, I think the discussion stalled more on the lack of tools than anything else; everybody loves to discuss, but someone has to *do the work* if status quo is not the desired outcome, and nobody likes that part. Hence, creating tools would help a lot more than trying to upset people even more. Join the efforts by coming up with a technical *solution* to the "no can do/too much work" arguments against, and everybody would thank you.