Re: Native vs non-native - how to choose?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Georgi Chulkov wrote:
> I have almost managed to package my first library. :) But one
> problem remains:

[...]

> libnonsense0_0.1.0-1_i386.deb
> libnonsense_0.1.0-1.dsc        <- some kind of description file, but who uses
> it?
> libnonsense_0.1.0-1_i386.changes        <- what is that?
> libnonsense_0.1.0-1.tar.gz        <- why is this created at all and is it
> different from "libnonsense-0.1.0.tar.bz2" other than by name and compression
> format?
> libnonsense-0.1.0.tar.bz2

This should be called libnonsense_0.1.0.orig.tar.gz, so you'll have to
repack the .bz2 (at least, for the time being, anyway) and fix its
name (or make a symlink to it with the right name.)

You can then test to make sure you've got it right by using
dpkg-source -b to just build the source package.

In general, you should always be making non-native packages; the very
few times you shouldn't, you'll probably already know about when
you're making the package.

Don Armstrong

--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked