From: Christoph Haas <email@christoph-haas.de>
To: mentors-ops@workaround.org
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:38:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [mentors-ops] New mentors site as a Google SoC 2008
	Debian project?
	autolearn=ham version=3.1.4

Giridhar,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 04:54:29PM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> On 08/03/26 10:00 +0100, Christoph Haas said ...
> > On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 09:06:46PM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> > > Would it make sense to propose development of the new mentors site
> > > (significant parts of it, if not all of it) as one of the projects for
> > > Google SoC for Debian?
> >
> > Honestly I have no experience with the SoC and how it's handled in
> > reality. I have already collected the bits, pieces and suggestions and
> > glued together in a half-sane documentation that might help to develop
> > the basic application. So if we follow that concept then it will
> > probably be boring like hell for a SoC student to understand that and
>
> This sort of a thing is OK for the SoC.  See the netconf [1] proposal
> for example.
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/netconf
>
> > start to code. IMHO the SoC is about people developing their own
> > concepts. But feel free to correct me. I'm an englishman in NY here.
>
> Not really.  Students can propose their own projects and concepts, but
> it is necessary that the project falls within the scope of a mentoring
> organization and there should be a mentor for the project.  The Debian
> SoC 2008 wiki page [2] has links to whatever you should know and more.
>
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008

Alright, I've spent a while with the SoC concept. So I proposed the
project here: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/debexpo

Let's see what happens. :)

Kindly
 Christoph
--
email@christoph-haas.de  www.workaround.org   JID: chrish@jabber.workaround.org
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586