Re: Help needed for packaging a library

Am Freitag, den 28.03.2008, 00:41 +0100 schrieb Georgi Chulkov:

> I'm trying to package a very simple hello world library, before I move to more
> complex things. The problem is that dpkg will not include the most important
> files in the finished package. Here's what I did, step by step (on a Kubuntu
> 7.10 system):
[snip]
> libnonsense1.install
> -----------------
> usr/lib/lib*.so.*
> -----------------
[snip]
> libnonsense-dev.install
> -----------------------
> usr/include/*
> usr/lib/lib*.a
> usr/lib/lib*.so
> usr/lib/pkgconfig/*
> usr/lib/*.la

It is IMHO a better idea to drop the libtool .la files.

> usr/share/pkgconfig/*

/usr/share/pkgconfig contains .pc (pkg-config) files for architecture
independent packages. Your library is architecture-dependent (and you
list /usr/lib/pkgconfig/), so you can drop this here.

> -----------------------
>
> 6. I run dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> The result is two deb files, among other things. The problem is that they do
> not contain the library!

Read the manpage for dh_install and consider to use the
--sourcedir=debian/tmp switch (for multi-binary packages, files are
normally installed to debian/tmp/ and then copied or moved into the
packaging directories debian/$(binary_PACKAGE)/ - only the content of
the latter is put into the resulting binary packages (except you request
a different behaviour). Otherwise you would need to list source *and*
destination in the .install file.

Regards, Daniel