Re: The get-orig-source target as stated in Policy 4.9

Am Montag, den 18.02.2008, 11:54 -0500 schrieb Andres Mejia:
> I've been told that the policy for the get-orig-source target states that
> it "...fetches the most recent version of the original source package...".
> However, I've seen others using the get-orig-source target to regenerate the
> orig tarball for their packages at a particular version. I've been doing this
> as well. Some packages doing this are warsow, ogre, fretsonfire, bulletml,
> and warzone2100.
>
> So my question is, when Policy states "the most recent version", is it "the
> most recent version _in Debian_" or "the most recent version _upstream_"?
>
> Even if it doesn't mean "the most recent version _in Debian_", I think it's
> important to supply a target or some other implementation to generate an orig
> tarball for packages at a particular version where upstream doesn't supply a
> clear upstream source package. Packages in experimental and packages whose
> source comes from svn, git, etc. are examples of when some implementation
> should be supplied. Look at warzone2100 for an example.

Well, overwrite the related variables in debian/rules via command line:

debian/rules get-orig-source VERSION=x.y SVNVER=xxxx

to get a source package for a given point. And determine these variables
for the current version in Debian e.g. via hardcoding the variables in
debian/rules or (IMO much better) by parsing debian/changelog
(dpkg-parsechangelog). So you can get an older version, the one in
Debian or even the "most recent".

Regards, Daniel