Re: In which section should go this kernel patch package (tuxonice)?

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Mattia Oss wrote:
> I'm trying to make a deb of kernel patch tuxonice[1], an alternative way
> to suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram.
> In which section should this package go? admin? devel?

At first glance this is likely to be more than one package. There is
the kernel-patch which would be in devel, the hibernate script which
would be in admin and the user-interface which could be in utils.

> What is tuxonice:
> TuxOnIce is most easily described as the Linux equivalent of Windows'
> hibernate functionality. It saves the contents of memory to disk and
> powers down. When the computer is started up again, it reloads the
> contents and the user can continue from where they left off. No
> documents need to be reloaded or applications reopened and the process
> is much faster than a normal shutdown and start up.

This description would probably not be enough. For example, as you
said in your mail it is an alternative to the in-kernel suspend which
is part of the stock Debian kernels and the uswsusp which is the
user-space suspend which depends on some in-kernel features (again
stock Debian kernel features). Both of these could be described as
"the Linux equivalent of Windows' hibernate functionality" (sic).

What will distinguish your package from these earlier ones? You
should say this crisply in your package Description.

Another thing is that there is already a package called "hibernate"
which may cause a conflict with the version you are planning to
package. Perhaps you should co-ordinate with that maintainer.

That said, best wishes on your effort to package this functionality
for Debian.

Regards,

Kapil.