Re: Re: RFS: gnormalize

Hi!
I'm very sorry for my delay, but... I forgot to subscribe the mailing
list! You replied only there and I didn't noticed anything... Nice
start, isn't it? :/

Anyway, thank you so much for your precious hints, I will do my best.
But some doubt are still there.

> The source contains several tar.gz files:
>
> 0 bzed@hal:/tmp/gnormalize-0.52$ ls -l *.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed  7867 2006-12-02 21:31 Audio-CD-0.04-changed.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed 21820 2006-12-02 21:31 CDDB_get-2.27.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bzed bzed 99599 2006-12-02 21:31 MP3-Info-1.20.tar.gz
>
> CDDB_get sounds like what's available in the libcddb-get-perl package,
> so you can at least remove that from the source as it doesn't make sense
> to ship the same source several times. Add patches if changes are needed
> to use the packaged lib instead of the shipped version. Probably you'll
> have to ask the maintainer to update it.
> Same for MP3-Info-1.20.tar.gz/libmp3-info-perl.
> Not sure about Audio-CD-0.04-changed.tar.gz due to the 'changed' in the
> name, if there're changes involved you probably want to integrate them
> in libaudio-cd-perl or find a different way.

Actually, in the debianized version I've already added proper
dependencies (the same indicated by you); but I left everything in the
archive because I don't know what I should do with them: can/should I
repackage the source?

Moreover, gnormalize is a pure frontend: did I the right thing putting
all needed external programs as suggestions? Should I do the same thing
with libraries (now are dependencies)?

>>From debian/TODO: Manpage for mppdec is missing.... If a manpage is
> missing - write one!

Will do!

> Also a simple build of your package fails.
>
> bzed@hal:/tmp/gnormalize-0.52$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package gnormalize
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.52-1
> dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Alessio Gaeta <alga777@libero.it>
> dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
>  fakeroot debian/rules clean
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
> # Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
> /usr/bin/make clean
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/gnormalize-0.52'
> rm gnormalize.1.gz
> rm: cannot remove `gnormalize.1.gz': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [clean] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gnormalize-0.52'
> make: *** [clean] Error 2
> dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
> status 2

Strange... I actually built a (working) package, available for download
on my website (unofficial, of course:
http://meden.uni.cc/2007/10/21/gnormalize-per-voi/#comment-60 ). I'll
give it a look.

> gnormalize_0.52-1.diff.gz contains a patch to the Makefile and
> gnormalize, I know there're different opinions about that, but I'd
> prefer to use a proper patches for that, using dpatch or quilt.
> But that's something you have to discuss with the DD who sponsors your
> package at the end.

> debian/rules: remove the commented dh_* calls, also remove all dh* calls
> which are unnecessary here (dh_strip is one example here, figuring out
> what else is a good way to learn what those tools do :))

I'll try it; this is my first "debian-compliant" package, so I'm not so
confident with these tools...

Thank you again (and excuse me!).
- --
Alessio Gaeta