Re: Writing get-orig-source targets to conform with policy

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:30:32AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 17.02.2008, 23:58 +0100 schrieb Bas Wijnen:
>
> [..]
> > The get-orig-source target specifies that it must work from anywhere.
>
> Where do you read this? The policy says, that it "[..] may be invoked in
> any directory [..]".

That's what I was referring to.

> To my understanding, this is not a "must work from anywhere". I agree,
> that script-calls should work from any directory.  But I expect the
> user to run the target at a place, where the user has write
> permissions.  I don't want to add tests and checks for this. But this
> would be necessary to fulfill the requirement you state.

Of course the user needs write permissions.  The meaning of
get-orig-source is to write a file to the current directory.  If the
user isn't allowed to write there, trying to do this should obviously
result in an error.  Any sensible implementation (that is, just about
any implementation except running a shell script without -e) does this
automatically without the need for an explicit check.

So indeed, my formulation was a bit sloppy.  Sorry about that.  What I
meant to say was that the tarball should also be created (if the user
has enough permissions) in the working directory, if that is not the
top-level build directory.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html