Config files which are writable by www-data

Hi all,

I am the maintainer of ldap-account-manager and got bug 462192.

The problem is that my application provides a set of default templates
for user creation. These files must be editable via the application
itself and therefore reside in /var/ldap-account-manager.
But the files are overwritten on every package installation because they
are not treated as config files in Debian's sense.

Now I think about moving the files to /etc. But Debian policy sais that
files in /etc should be owned by root and writable only by the user.

So what can I do? Would it be ok to assign these files to group www-data
and allow the group write access? Or would it be better to own them by
www-data and not root?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Roland