Re: cttex (updated package)

On Feb 2, 2008 7:55 AM, Prach Pongpanich <prachpub@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.23-2
> of my package "cttex".  This package has been removed from debian package
> repository, because it was orphaned.

Your orig.tar.gz is different from the 1.23-1 one on snapshot.debian.net, why?
Looking at the code, it seems you checked it out of CVS again, best
just to use the old tarball.

debian/substvars should be removed as it is generated dynamically.

debian/cttex.1 should be sent upstream, add it to CVS unless you don't
have access (Theppitak can probably help with that). I guess it would
probably be nice to have a Thai translation for it and now that man-db
supports UTF-8 I guess that is possible.

You might want to translate the package description to Thai and add it
to ddtp.debian.net.

You specifiy debhelper compat level 5 but do not build-depend on the
right version.

debian/copyright needs the copyright section renamed to Licence and a
new copyright section written. You may also want to read this
proposal: http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

Please commented out dh_* commands and non-useful comments from debian/rules.

Please use $(MAKE) instead of make in debian/rules

Do you know why install is used instead of $(MAKE) install?

Any reason why you don't install the upstream ChangeLog file?

The upstream VERSION file says 1.22, any idea why your version is 1.23?

Does upstream have a homepage for the software? If so it would be good
to add it:

http://wiki.debian.org/HomepageFieldHOWTO

Please fix these lintian info messages (run lintain -I -i for more info):

I: cttex source: package-lacks-versioned-build-depends-on-debhelper 5
I: cttex: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/cttex.1.gz:27
I: cttex: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/cttex.1.gz:30

debian/changelog needs some work:

NMU means non-maintainer upload, not new maintainer. Please write "  *
New maintainer" as the first entry in instead.

Not sure what "rebuilt" means, you probably meant rebuild the tarball,
which isn't nessecary.

You didn't document the other changes you made (debian/compat, bump
standards-version, add manpage .

Please document changes you make in debian/changelog. You might want
to read the developers-reference for more info on changelog standards.

In the long term, do you think the cttex functionality belongs in
texlive? That might be a good thing to persue if so.

I missed out on meeting you last year, I hope we can meet next time I
am in Thailand - perhaps at a future Thai Debconf :)

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise